Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Coincidence or....

Godwinks

You're most likely curious as to what I'm talking about in "godwinks".  Here's some definitions before I go into a longer explanation.

Coincidence: A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged. - American Heritage Dictionary

Wink: To give a signal or express a message. - American Heritage Dictionary

Godwink: A personal signal or message directly from a higher power, usually, but not always in the form of a coincidence. - SQuire Rushnell - the author of "When God Winks" 

Last Saturday after getting off from work I had some time I wanted to use to see if I could visit with one of my girls from Sandal House (not to confuse you...I'm no longer at Sandal House...but like to stay in touch with the girls when I can).  I found out she was at work at the Mercy House Thrift Store and decided to drop in and say hi to her at work.  I also did what I always do when I'm at a thrift store and that was to look at the books offered.

My eye caught on the title of a book called, "When God Winks".  I was intrigued because I have this thing about winking that started one summer while working at Highland Retreat Camp.  It was the summer that the director asked the male and female staff to refrain from hugging while camp was in session, so that campers wouldn't get false impressions.  In place of being able to give reassurance or encouragement in the form of hugs, I began to wink.  A wink meant, "God loves you and you're special." 

What I learned about winking that summer was that in order to be blessed by a wink you need to be paying attention.  If you didn't see the wink, it had still happened, but the blessing of reassurance and encouragement wasn't the same.  Also, there are times when the person needing the wink will see it, but those around (i.e. campers) will often miss the communication or if they did see it it might not have the same significance to them.

After my summer of winking I needed to create a personal email address (I had never had one before).  I created Jenwinker and that has been my screenname ever since.  It's a reminder to me that I can choose to be a blessing of reassurance and encouragement to others.

The author of "When God Winks," has taken the same principal I used that summer at camp and expounded the subject.  SQuire Rushnell created a name (godwinks) for those moments in life when we had a coincidence take place that we contribute to God, but want to call it something other than coincidence.  We can now call it a godwink. 

Personally, I couldn't put this book down.  I even believe it was a godwink that I stumbled across this book to begin with.  Weeks ago when I wrote my post entitled, Inspired, I received a lot of comments both verbal and written about the story of my grandfather's picture being in the home of a South African I met.  While writing the post I mentioned that the occurance had spoken eloquently to me of God's love...and now I have a word for that story other than coincidence...it's a godwink. 

Another godwink connected with the book and the post I wrote, took place two weeks ago in Sunday School class.  A member of my Sunday School class mentioned the story I wrote in my blog and that led another participant to share a quote I had never heard before and hadn't stopped thinking about since.  "Coincidence is just God working anonymously."

I loved that quote and wasn't at all surprised that it was stated in the last chapter of the book, "When God Winks."  These are just testimonies of God's love for us, that He works out the littlest details, we just need to open to seeing Him at work (or we might miss those wonderful winks).

Recently I had a godwink moment that was special to me.  I was cleaning out my desk, not something I do often, and stumbled across a crumbled piece of paper that had gotten stuck in the back of a drawer.  The note was one I wrote to myself reminding me that the next time I made chocolate roses I needed to share some with two small children I knew from church.  I had made the promise to them and then wrote the note knowing if I didn't I would forget. 

That note had been written late last summer, then lost, and the promise forgotten.  I called their Mom, my friend Davene and asked if I could treat them to some chocolate cake, chocolate roses and a lesson in how to make chocolate roses for the boys.  My schedule is kind of tight these days, and I know Davene and her family keep busy too.  After looking at our schedules the only date that worked for us both was a week away on a Thursday.  We made our plans and then Davene confessed to me that the date was actually her birthday ,and she hadn't been wanting to have to make her own birthday cake.  Wow...what a godwink!  Our Creator God, even cares about birthday cakes.

What a loving God we serve!!

2 comments:

Stacey said...

When I read Davene's post i knew it had to have been you! I love IT!!!! Thanks for sharing Jenn. Love ya, S

Davene said...

I echo Stacey: thanks for sharing, Jenn! And I mean that in a literal way. :)

The cake was delicious, and your generosity was refreshing to my soul. Seeing God's hand moving in this way blessed me immensely!

Thanks for being open to His Spirit moving, even in "little" ways. :)