Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Devotionals

I don't know about you, but it's certainly true for me, there are times in my life when waiting on God and His answers is quite difficult. This has not been one of those weeks for me.

This week God's presence and leading has been very direct in my life. For this blessing I am thankful. I am thankful we have a heavenly Father who loves us in such a manner that He will directly lead us. I am thankful for a heavenly Father who cares about my every needs, even my emotional ones. And I am thankful that in this week God hasn't asked patience from me :) He knows that's my struggle.

I started this week with a prayer and each day the Lord has lead me in an answer. I felt lead to share some of the answers with you. Who knows you might find an answer to one of your prayers in this too. Isn't it amazing how God is able to do that for us?

Lead Me Lord
31 Mar 2009
Wendy Blight
"Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105 (NIV)
Do you pray for direction, and hear nothing?
Do you wonder if God even heard your prayers?
Friend, you are not alone. Often I come before God, pouring out my heart in prayer, seeking His will for different areas in my life. Then I hear nothing. He is silent. Not wanting to wait, I forge ahead on my own. In my busyness, I fail to sit and wait. No time, I say, because someone is waiting for an answer. No time, I say, because I need to act now.
Yet, when I examine Scripture, God consistently teaches: sit, pray, and wait. Jesus began His ministry by fasting forty days alone in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1-11). He spent an entire night alone in prayer before choosin g His twelve disciples (Luke 6:12).
Esther fasted and prayed for three days before she took the bold and courageous step of going before the king on behalf of her people, knowing it could mean her death (Esther 4:8-16).
Elijah went into the wilderness for forty days to hear the "still small voice" (1 Kings 19:11-18).
What do these great people of faith teach us? To know God's leading, to hear His voice, we must listen and wait. Maybe we think God is silent because we never take the time to sit in God's Word and wait. When we do, He promises it will penetrate us to the marrow of our bones, to the deepest places in our heart. Hebrews 4:12 says His Word is living and active and "sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow" (NIV).
When we choose to get alone with God, He promises to meet us there. Jeremiah 29:13-14a says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be f ound by you" (NIV). Take the challenge to meet Him in His Word.
Do you want direction? Follow these steps.
1) Read God's Word: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the [woman] of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (NIV) God was actively involved in the writing of Scripture. It is the infallible and authoritative Word of God written to speak Truth into your life today.
2) Study God's Word: 2 Timothy 2:15 says, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth" (NIV). When you study His Word, He plants it deep within your heart. His Spirit then takes the Word and bends your heart in His direction, enabling you to hear His Voice.
3) Pray God's Word: Isaiah 55:11 says, "...so is My Word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purposes for which I sent it" (NIV). Prayer is God's living Word spoken out of your mouth. When you pray in faith, you hold God' Word up to Him in prayer. You put Him in remembrance of His Word, and His promise is that Word will not return void. Furthermore it shall accomplish that which He purposes and pleases.
Join me today in applying God's Word to the circumstances in your life. Know that when you do, God promises to do abundantly more than you could ever ask or imagine!
Heavenly Father, I need direction in my life today. You seem distant and silent. Yet I know that You are not because You promise to never leave me or forsake me. Today, I commit to search Your Word. Open my eyes that I may see the wonderful things in Your Law. Give me eyes to see and ears to hear Your direction in my circumstances. Thank You, Lord, that in my seeking You will meet me. Thank You that as I trust in You completely, You will le ad me down Your paths! In Jesus' Name, Amen.

The preceeding devotional I read on Tuesday morning. It came at just the right time to offer encouragement and insight into the prayer I had lifted up to the Lord. The beginning of the devotional shared a verse from Psalms that has often been on of my favorites through the years, "Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" Psalm 119:105. During my teen years I remember hearing a sermon that highlighted this verse. The preacher "culturized" the verse, bringing in aspects of the culture at the time it was written. It was a powerful illustration to me at that time in my life. This preacher started talking about the lamp and how lamps back in the Old Testament time were not these powerful light sources we are use to today (ie...flashlights). A lamp back then allowed you to see maybe several feet around you, after that it was just darkness. To go out walking at night with a lamp that only allowed you to see that couple of feet from where you were standing required a lot of faith.

I am so use to readily available light. I can walk into a room and easily flip a switch, and there is light. If I'm driving and there are not enough street lights, then I have high beams on my car I can use. Even if I'm out camping and need light, there are some pretty powerful flashlights out there that could illuminate a good bit for me. For me, there is very little reason I would ever need to walk in almost darkness.

Yet, in my spiritual life there have been times when God has only illuminated the way just enough for me to see my next step and not much beyond. And when I took that next step another step came into the light. It takes faith to walk that way, but fear not God loves us and is there walking with us, we only have to believe.

The Truth About Fear
1 Apr 2009
Micca Monda Campbell
"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:8 (NIV)
Have you ever noticed how some TV commercials mix just enough truth with their product to make it believable? While that's called false advertisement, the product still comes off convincing. It's not until we purchase the product, and it fails, that the trickery becomes exposed.
In the same way, Satan specializes in false advertisement. He's good at making our fears look real when they are not. Does that mean all fears are wrong? No. The fear of standing near a high cliff protects us from getting to close to the edge and toppling over. One the other hand, Satan's spooks are full of trickery. They are usually disabling and keep us from progress. This kind of false advertisement can choke our faith and fuel our fears.
Have you ever wondered where our struggle between faith and fear began? I have. According to author and teacher Malcolm Smith, fear was introduced to the human race by a satanic lie.
The Garden is the first place where the serpent deceived Eve by twisting God's word. The Lord told Adam not to eat of any tree in the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and evil (Genesis 2:16-17). If he or Eve ate from that tree, they would surely die spiritually. Not only did Eve eat the forbidden fruit, but she offered it to Adam and he ate too.
As soon as Adam disobeyed God, their relationship changed. Adam was not only afraid, but he doubted God's authority, friendship, and provision. Satan's lie told Adam that he didn't need God. In fact, Adam was persuaded that he could be his own god, self-sufficient in every way.
The same can be true for you and me. At times, you an d I live independent of God's presence. We act as if everything depends on us. We wouldn't dare admit that we are in over our heads. We want to appear in control. But God never meant for you and me to be strong in and of ourselves. We were meant to show His strength in our weakness as He provides for our needs. We were created to live like little children, dependent on the care our heavenly Father.
The times we insist on living life our way, in our own strength, we experience the same result as Adam and Eve. We will live in fear. This is right where Satan wants us.
If we're afraid to try, we never will. If the enemy can keep us contained by fear, we won't be able to fulfill our potential or make a difference in the life of another. Satan knows what we are capable of with Christ. To prevent us from that realization, he poisons us with fear.
The truth is what we fear rarely comes to pass. This kind of fear that is fueled by Satan's lies can be described by this acrostic:
False
Evidence
Appearing
Real
It's not that we shouldn't be concerned about certain issues of life such as safety and health. But when worrying takes over by keeping us up at night and shutting us down during the day, we've moved into a place we were never meant to live. We must return to living in God's presence and relying on His promises and provision. Only then will we be able to distinguish between truth and lies. Only then will our lives be marked by faith, not fear.
Dear Lord, help me to discern between false fears and real concerns. As I commit Your Word to memory, make Your truth alive in my heart so that I can battle fear and live by faith. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

The preceeding devotional was from earlier today. WOW! It mirrored my thoughts over the last two days about fear. I'm in the midst of stepping out on faith and making a decision that has been a long time in coming, but always before fear held me back. Thank you Lord for sending me this encouraging word for today! I hope you're able to find encouragement in God's word as well.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Good Girl!!!I am so happy that you got confirmation in this situation.... I am praying that all will go well and that you will finally have the peace you have longed for concerning this. And you know what else I am praying for as well....I just have such high hopes after our conversation. I see this as a step in the right direction!

Jesse, Christa and Marshall said...

Wow, Jenn! I read this yesterday but didn't have time to comment but that first one was just perfect for what I was looking for at that exact moment. Seriously, a total answer to prayer. Thanks for letting God use you.