Monday, March 23, 2009

Online Stalker

No, I don't have an online stalker, at least I don't believe so. I'm afraid it's much worse than that, I think I'm the stalker :)

Between reading my friends Blogs and the information they put out through Facebook, I'm continuing our relationship without even adding discussion into the mix. Just about everyday I go to my blog page here and check out which one of my friends has updated their blogs. Then I go to their blogs and read about current events in their lives. If that's not enough I then check out my Facebook page and scroll down the newsfeed to see if there is anything worthy to note on my friend's happenings.

Usually I'm able to pick up some tidbits here and there through those two avenues, and all that without even personally writing them an email or picking up the phone to call them. Technology has moved to an all new level of impersonal relationship building, and I'm hooked!

I was just realizing how bad this has gotten when yesterday I sat down to lunch with somone I know through church. We're more acquitances than friends and I just wanted to sit down with him to talk about a recent mission trip he did with YWAM (Youth With A Mission). It wasn't until after our conversation that I realized with shock the number of times I mentioned to him something I knew about him and had learned through Facebook. I knew about crazy adventures he had on his mission. I knew about his new job. I knew about his desire to go back to school this Fall and study for his RN. For how little I actually know this guy in person, I knew way too much.

It's all rather a little creepy to say the least.

Yet, it's all okay too. I mean we are the ones putting ourselves out there. Here I am putting my thoughts and feelings on the internet on my blog and then adding to that with a Facebook page.

So, maybe I'm not the only online snoop out there. Maybe there are others of you. Maybe you're reading this blog right now and know you're guilty of the same :)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

The least you could do it put a comment out there Jenn.....LOL
I am the same way but I try really hard to comment. I want to use this as a way to build friendships but it is so easy to fall into that secret friend/stalker category. Justin comes in and sees me on face book and tells me I'm being nosy but the truth of the matter is that people only put out there what they want others to know!!! And besides I know what's going on in the lives of my friends and he doesn't so there...