Monday, March 2, 2009

Just an Observation...

Having grown up south of the city of Harrisonburg I always knew our home was firmly entrenched in the countryside. We didn't have to contend with the annoyances found in the city; the lack of privacy, the traffic, and the blacktop where grass should be.

It wasn't until I was eighteen and left my childhood home for Winnipeg, Canada that I first experienced city life. I was attending Canadian Mennonite Bible College at the time and between college life and city life I was far from any experience I had ever had to that point. I became use to all that the city had to offer, cultural events, shopping, and good public transportation. I still missed the peace and quiet of the country.

I'm twenty-eight years old, and in the last ten years I've lived in several cities, but I always seem to find my way back to the tranquility of the countryside.

The other day I drove from Sandal House (in the heart of Harrisonburg) to my home south of the city. The further I got from the city the more I noticed other drivers on the ride. That's when I made this observation. People are friendlier in the country. All these other drivers would nod their heads or wave to me. It felt great to be back where I was acknowledged as an individual again, and to step out from the crowd.

All I can say is I'm a country girl at heart and that's never going to change no matter how long I find myself living here in the city.

No comments: