Thursday, March 12, 2009

Virginia through Foreign Eyes...

I grew up in rural Virginia. Life here is changing, yet static. Though I've seen drastic changes, like less farm land, and more homes and retail (the country is becoming city at a rapid pace), it seems somethings always stay the same. I think the "cultural" of Virginia stays true to an extent.

For me this last week has been interesting as I read the blog of a South African Group Study Exchange (GSE) as they detail their time in Virginia. They're writing about sites that I take for granted and commenting on "culture" that doesn't seem the least bit strange to me. As they write though I begin to see how my everyday life could seem very unusual to an outsider looking in.

The whole experience reminds me of the journals I kept while in South Africa. Here I was a Virginian looking into the sites and culture of a foreign land. I'm sure for a South African my journal must be quite amusing.

If you're interested in keeping up with the GSE group as they visit Virginia over the next several weeks check out their blog. Now if you're interested in my old South African journal you'll have to travel back to my old blog. The problem with my journal on the blog is that it's broken up over several days. You'll have to read most of the November 2005 posts to finish the journal. Have fun with it!!

No comments: