Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oh My...

...I broke a nail.

That's right I broke a nail, and instead getting all freaked out about it, I cut just cut down all my other nails.

A couple weeks ago I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure. This is a very rare thing for me. In fact I can probably count on one hand the times I've had either of those treatments done.

I was really pleased with the results, and especially the pampered feeling I had afterwards. The place I went even had special massage chairs to relax in while you were getting your pedicure, it was like a little bit of heaven on earth.

In the end my nails looked transformed. They were no longer the short, poorly taken care of, and often ignored finger nails and cuticles. They were beautiful, with a lovely color, and healthy look.

But then two weeks later I broke a nail. So, now they're back to being short and somewhat ignored, except the color has remained :)

In a really unusual way God used this experience to give me gentle reminder. Often times I get so focused on how I can be of service to God and others, that I ignore how God wants to restore me. Like my short nails; I often feel functional and good for a purpose, but as my nails show the wear and tear, so do I. God wants me to take time out, to relax in His presence, and to come away healthier and more beautiful from the experience. So, my reminder to myself today and all of you is to take time to pamper yourself with the Lord, even if it means just adding some color to your short nails (meant figuratively, but hey go ahead and paint those nails it's a great reminder to spend some time with God).

No comments: